This ABC Summer Salad is so colourful and refreshing. Layers of Avocados, Apricots, Blueberries and Cucumbers are placed in a Mason jar, over a few spoonfuls of lime vinaigrette for a burst of flavour. The taste of the sweet fruits, crunchy seeds, tangy dressing and leafy greens just create the best combination in your mouth and you end up wanting more!
To make this salad, you simply prepare all the ingredients and then layer them all in Mason jars. What is great with Mason jar salads is that you place the dressing at the bottom so your spinach does not become all soggy. You can keep a jar of prepared salad for up to a week in your fridge, so it is the perfect lunch to take on a busy weekday, or for a summer picnic! When I made this salad, I kept one jar for 5 days in my fridge and I was surprised to see that the avocado did not even become brown! This is the best way I have found so far to always have a healthy salad on hand!
For the lime vinaigrette, I got the inspiration from an amazing avocado and papaya salad that I often eat when I go to an italian restaurant in Halifax. This salad is covered in such a simple dressing made mainly with fresh lime juice and high quality olive oil. I really wanted to create my version of this simple dressing to go with this summery salad! The result is phenomenal, this salad has become a summer staple!
This ABC Summer Salad is also wonderful to take on a picnic! It is delicious served with my Raspberry Lemonade.
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 3 fresh apricots, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 4 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 4 handful baby spinach
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon parsley, dried (or 1 tablespoon if fresh)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- To prepare the vinaigrette, whisk the lime juice, olive oil and honey.
- Incorporate parsley, sea salt and pepper and mix well.
- To prepare the salad, take 4 clean Mason jars.
- In each jar, layer 1.5 tablespoon lime vinaigrette, ½ cup blueberries, ¾ of a diced apricot, ¼ of a diced avocado, 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds and a handful of spinach.
- Place a lid on a jar and refrigerate for up to one week.
- To eat, pour the contents of the jar in a bowl or container to mix all the components of the salad and enjoy.
Leave a Reply