Red lentils are so delicious and I usually only eat them with curry type spices. I thought I would change it up and cook my red lentils with a tomato base for a change. Believe me, this combination was so flavourful and delicious!
This soup contains only a few simple ingredients and is therefore the perfect solution for a cold winter days when fresh veggies are scarce. With only a few ingredients and a very short preparation time, you will get a very hearty soup that can be served as a meal of its own. When I made it, I brought some for lunch at work 4 days in a row and I enjoyed it as much every day!
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 3 cups red lentils
- 2 carrots
- 4 cups vegetable (V8) juice or tomato juice
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook the onion in grapeseed oil for 4-5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add lentils and fry for about 1 minute.
- Pour in vegetable juice and water.
- Add carrots, salt, pepper, parsley and garlic. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the lentils are well cooked.
- Process with blender until smooth.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or green onion and freshly ground black pepper, if desired.
your soup looks delicious, so thick and creamy just how I love it. Id like to make it soon, but I cant seem to find the tomatoes listed in the ingredients or prep. Is it a carrot based soup or was there a mix up? Im sure either way would be delicious, but Im a bit confused…
Hi Laura! Thanks for your comment. I used V8 vegetable juice, it is like tomato juice but also has other veggies in it. You can use plain tomato juice and it will be as tasty! I will update my recipe to indicate this Enjoy!
Oh Thank you Ellie for your reply. What a great idea to cook with vegetable juice! I love it and the next dreary day that comes around will be soup making day in my house. 😉
No problem! It is such a perfect meal for a gray day! Let me know how it turns out!