When I was in University, some of my really good friends were from France and whenever we wanted to eat something quick, they would just make delicious crêpes, without even using a recipe! I was so amazed at their ease for preparing crêpes. Growing up, crêpes were something special that was only eaten on weekends, and I definitely never would have thought that they could be easily prepared as a quick snack!
I asked my friends what was their secret to the perfect crêpe recipe and they agreed to share their secret recipe with me! I could not believe how simple it was: 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk, 1 egg and a pinch of salt! Nothing else, just four ingredients and you get a perfectly thin crêpe that is so easy to flip!
The other weekend, I was truly missing eating crêpes so I worked on a gluten-free version of this simple and authentic French crêpe recipe. I was so pleased with the result! Here is to a simple gluten-free crêpe recipe!
For a delicious breakfast or even dessert, I prepared a homemade hazelnut and chocolate butter and spread it in the crêpes, with bananas and topped this delicious treat with a drizzle of maple syrup. Other topping ideas include fresh fruits and yogourt or almond butter and jam. You can also eat these crêpes as a meal with roasted asparagus and a vegan creamy sauce.
- ⅔ cup brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup arrowroot flour
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 egg
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Butter or coconut oil (for cooking)
- Heat oil or butter in a pan over medium heat until it is sizzling.
- Spread 1 laddle in the middle of the sizzling pan and immediately spread the batter in the pan with a circular motion, until the crêpe is perfectly round and fills the pan.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, until you see bubbles appearing on top.
- Flip the crêpe and cook on the other side for another minute or 2, or until golden.
- Repeat steps 2-5 until all the crêpes are cooked. You can add a bit more oil after 2 crêpes to avoid sticking.
Leave a Reply